Thursday, August 17, 2006


This is Melissa and Charlie's square. i love the acorn and oak leaves, it definitely ties in the theme. Just today I also recieved fabric from Aunt Helen of little acorns in warm, fall colors.
Yesterday Heidi and I went to Fabric Depot and got lost admist all the fabric and possibilities.
We ended up deciding on a cream fabric to border each square and for the sashing which will connect them. We also got a rotary cutter and have begun to trim all the squares to exactly 12 and a half by twelve and a half. We talked to some of the older salesladies wh0 gave us great, experienced advice about making a quilt, from start to finish.
They all seemed very excited about our project and thought Grandma was very lucky and special with all of our work. So we don't quite have 25 squares yet. we are adding some squares which are just fabric. We thought that it would be useful and could spread out the squares we have and it would look fine. I have a piece of fabric from Grandma's basement, a brown and white plaid (the autumn theme) and also a warm, yellow calico from Aunt Kathy Priest, (extra fabric from her square.)
Well we are now scrambling now with this project. We expect next week to be another mad dash of actually connecting them (how did math end up being so important?) and then doing a million ties all over it. we will keep all of you posted.
Lots of love,
sierra
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am pretty sure i've decided to skip the individual borders (way too much work) and just use the lightly patterned cream sashing

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I love that you are doing this. Do you need any $ for batting or the backing? Let me know. XXOO MJ

Anonymous said...

Hey Maryjo,
that would be really nice. a few others have donated also. thank you. so this morning i cut out all the cream colored strips for the sashes and the strips which connect all of them. I also sewed the short pieces (20) to the right side of them. i have been so into this project last night I forgot about dinner (as usual). Thom wonders why I forget about basic things like that I just get focused and wow- time goes by...