Saturday, May 27, 2006

Grandma's Quilt


Welcome Byrne Family... So I am sending out information to everyone who has responded, with more information on this project. Updated information is that each square should be a little bigger than our goal of 12 x 12 inches, so when we sew them together, we won't lose any of your design- so that should bring us to having each square around 13 x 13 inches.

So far people who have responded and want to participate are: Maryjo, Teri, Kathy P., Kathy B., Maggie, Dede, Brigie, Molly, Heidi, Aimee, Alice, Stephanie, Patricia and Andy, and Sierra. I am still hoping that others can or want to do it too. I am especially hoping Aunt Helen wants to and also other cousins.... We need everyone. The more the better, it will only make it more beautiful.

Also, our goal is for the quilt to have 20 squares with a big border, or ....25 squares for a smaller border. The neat thing about doing more, is that we all have many memories of Grandma and different experiences.

The theme can be of Grandma- of course, and Grandma's environment... for instance her garden, the apples, acorns, yellow roses, her front door, her row of blue plates inside, the Washington hills in the distance, the glassy river, the oak tree. These are all just ideas.... Please share your ideas.

You can design your square any way you like of course. How does getting them done by July 15th sound like to everyone? That would be great, so we (with as much help as possible) can sew them all together in August and connect it with a middle and the backing.

I was thinking that for the people that live in the Portland/ Gorge area can get together and get our squares done altogether. We can all contribute fabric scraps and ideas and we will have a couple of sewing machines out. Bring the kids if they want to turn it into a fun math project and we can sew it for them if they pick out fabric and whatnot. I was thinking the (Byrne's and McPheeters kids).. And maybe people from the Dalles could carpool up here for an upcoming Saturday.

What does everyone think? Does this sound okay to everyone or anyone?
please reply... :) thank you.
Love ,
Sierra

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi doll,
sounds great.
I saw a LOT of calico print material at the fabric store....
WOW>How do I pick which colours?
What colour is the border going to be?
whatever you're doing, you're doing it right!
THANK YOU*

Anonymous said...

I think 13x13 is a good idea, that way there's room to sew each square together. So the design of our squares only has to be 12x12, with an inch of extra fabric to piece everything together. Right? let me know if I'm wrong.

Also...more ideas that have been brought to my attention:

the beach
music
kites
skiing
ice skating through Portland

I haven't decided yet myself which one I'll do.

Anywho, thought I should leave a comment seeing as how I've visited the blog more than once now. :)

Cheers to you Sierra and Heidi, for all the hard work you are putting into this grand project.

xxoo, b

(your cousin in Alaska)

Anonymous said...

This will be fun.
I've choosen Grandma Marge's hollyhocks,
a childhood memory of Grandma
asking Tad and me to help spread the seed buttons.
pale lavender pink?
I'm on my way to the fabric store!

Aunt Maggie

Anonymous said...

Sierra,
Thank you for the note card.
Aunt maggie

Anonymous said...

thank you for writing all of you. yeah, 13 x 13 is so the extra inch or so is to sew the pieces together.
all of those ideas sound great! i tried to do an abstract rose last weekend and it was so hard! Wow. So, i think i am going to keep it simple and more geometric. I think i might still try to do a rose...
i'll let you know.
hey, i think when you leave a comment, you can click on "other" as an identity and just type your name- you don't have to have a web page, atleast that's what i've been doing.
:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for doing all of this work. This is my first time visting a blog. Well anyway, you can count the McPheeters in for two squares. I think I'm going with a shared experience with the boys and then something jsut about Grandma. Maybe her travels to Japan or Switzerland.